He told Australia's Network
10 that Irwin managed to pull the barb
out of his chest but said it was too late,
as the poison had already entered his
body. Irwin then went into cardiac arrest,
news reports said.
Stainton described the footage
of his friend dying as "terrible."
"It shows that Steve
came over the top of the ray and the tail
came up, and spiked him (in the chest),
and he pulled it out and the next minute
he's gone," Stainton said.
"That was it. The cameraman
had to shut down (after that)," Stainton
said. Stainton talked more about the footage
on "Larry King Live" Tuesday.
Cardiac arrest is not listed
as a usual symptom of a stingray's sting
in Medline Plus, the online medical encyclopedia
of the National Institutes of Health and
the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
But they note that although most victims
recover within 48 hours, "death has
occurred when the patient's chest or abdomen
the Full Story Here